I recently made a spring inspired cake (with Tyler’s help) to take to a special dinner. It’s rather unassuming on the outside, but the inside is a different story!
The frosting is just a simple whipped cream with powdered sugar and vanilla to give it a bit of flavor. Some coconut sprinkled on top to give it a bit more aesthetic appeal, as well as a bit more texture made the outside unassuming! As for the inside, going top to bottom:
- Raspberry puree from frozen organic raspberries, put through a fine strainer to remove seeds
- Blood orange zest, with a little blood orange juice
- Meyer lemon juice, and zest
- I thought I had limes at home, but was mistaken! A sprinkling of green apple jello saved the day here.
- About 1/2 cup of frozen organic blueberries, same method as #1
- Same as #1 and 6, only blackberries were used!
Some of the colors weren’t as vibrant as we would have liked, so a very minimal amount of food coloring was used just to make the colors more distinguishable. Just a couple drops at most!
We didn’t taste any of the batter before baking, and just kind of hoped it would turn out, and did it ever! Each layer was crisp and distinguishable, and didn’t compete with the other layers. It was a nice, fruity and creamy cake!!!!! I can’t wait to make it again with fresh fruit from the farmer’s market. Oh, and I’ll need another pan. I only had one, so I had to cook each layer individually…. which took a long time. But it was WELL worth it!